Friday, March 28, 2008

Ode to Buddy

Buddy
1991-2008


Today Mom and Keith had to put Buddy down. I am so sad. He was the best dog ever - really. He was never aggressive and was good with the kids and just a wonderful and loving dog. He had a long life and we will all miss him.



Buddy was always great with the kids - he even participated in the occasional dress-up!


We got Buddy the summer that Mom and I moved back to Idaho -1991 I guess. Grandma and Grandpa had some puppies at their farm and we went out to get one. We picked Buddy because he had "headlights" on his eyebrows and he was the calmest one of the bunch. That summer I went to Alaska and Mom trained him. While I was gone he got some kind of parasite or something and lost most of his hair! But by the time I got home he was normal again. Mom did a great job training him, he has been so good his whole life. He could wait practically all day to go outside to the bathroom. We already had Mikey the cat at the time we got him and he was probably offended that we got a dog, but somebody had to make up for Mikey's attitude. You couldn't ask for a better dog than Buddy. And of course secretly Mikey and Buddy became BFFs.

When I told Grace about Buddy, she was very sad. But when I said he would go to Heaven, she got really happy and said "He can see Grandma Linny and Papa Don's dogs there!" She was so excited that he wouldn't be alone in Heaven. Buddy, Paco and Chica can all run and play together. Thank goodness he is now free of pain. We will miss him so much.

3 comments:

Shari said...

I'm so sorry. I had a an adorable chihuahua, Paco, that I got in
1995. He died in April of last year. I had such a hard time with it, and I still miss him so much. Sounds like Buddy was a member of the family, just like Paco was to us. Again, I'm so sorry.

Pam Cox said...

Thank you Anna. What a sweet tribute to Buddy - who will never be forgotten. I love you.
Mom

Sharon said...

Buddy really was a great dog! How's your mom doing with it?
- Aunt Sharon