I am seeking advice. For any of you who have stubborn children who don't listen to you, how do you get them to listen to you? For example, this morning I took Luke to the bus stop and he REFUSED to get on the bus. The bus came, I threatened, he didn't care, and the bus left, without him. So I ended up driving him (which is what he wanted) to school and fuming the whole way. How should I handle this situation? We seem to have clashing personalities - both stubborn. I just don't know how to deal with him sometimes.
5 comments:
I know how much you like free advice from your mom. . . . . but this is my idea:
Make him do the math. How much does it cost you in gas to take him to school? He can pay that much out of his allowance.
Love you!!!
Mom
He already has his allowance taken away, or I would do that. Good idea - great minds think alike.:)
Have you thought of home schooling? If you give him the choice of no friends all day (or staying at home doing the same thing they're doing) he may see the light. Of course if he doesn't you should be prepared to set up Anna's Mini School For Strong Willed Childred otherwise known as the "A.M.S.F.S.W.C."
A few questions. Is there someone on the bus he doesn't like or is afraid of?
Has he ridden the bus before?
Does he have a friend who can sit by him when he gets on the bus?
Luke may also may be more nervous about going to school than he's letting on.
Whatever he's choosing to do (resisting)must come from somewhere. He'll probably tell you if you just ask him("I wanna ride with you" isn't acceptable though). Maybe you've already tried that.
Whatever the the case - part of the remedy may be making sure that he thinks its his idea to do whatever is that gets him ridin' the bus. Then he "owns it" (we're talkin' long termed learning here.)Is this sounding too complicated? There is no charge for this consultation by the way.
I don't know where he gets all this stuff. Any clues? Hmmmm...?
I sure love You.
Dad
Hmph! I surely never had that kind of troble with my kids :(..My friend, Elaine, would have put Luke on the bus herself and rode with him to school. . how embarressing!! (problem..how to get home from school..oh that's right,the bus driver will bring you_home..it's in their hand book, pg 397.They're such nice people) Anna, don't fret, you're an awesome mom!! Like they say "pick your battles, if it has Eternal consequence, stick to it.
As always, Love from the in-law mother...Grama Linny_
My kids never took the bus, so I have no advise on this one. My catch all consequence was to make my kids stay on their bed if they chose to stay home, (like when they would say they were sick and 15 minutes later they would be playing just fine or when they just didn't want to go to school). That seemed to work for them. I totally love your parent's advice though - what amazingly smart people they are! Did you think they were that smart when you were younger?
Post a Comment